He KNOWS my name...

Because He has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known my name. He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him.


Psalms 91:14-15



“I’m tired, so tired, so exhausted and I want someone to take my place…” Those were the words of my little lady friend that I visit in the Nursing home. She said this with her eyes closed while lying in bed. She then murmured that she was in a lot of pain. I know this lady and the way that she “controls” her suffering is to “get quiet before the Lord” as she calls it. Through her years of great success as well as much suffering, she once told me that when times get really rough, she learned to hide in the Lord, to take a silent stand in her spirit and allow Him to speak to her. I know that is what she is doing on this day, a day when she is suffering so much pain in her body.

I feel helpless, as she lies silently with her eyes closed, every now and then murmuring some intelligible words. So I reach for her Bible and begin to read Psalms 91 aloud. When I get to verse 14 where King David declares that because he KNOWS God's name then God know's him and his needs, she recites along with me and then whispers “that is important, HE knows who WE are, He knows even our frame”. Even in her suffering she recalled the Word of God from memory and remembered that He has not forgotten her, even in this present state.

As I look around her room, I see pictures of her when she was young, with her baby son in her lap. She is smiling brilliantly right into the camera. A happier, healthier time frozen in this snapshot. I wonder when that picture was taken did she savor that moment? As she held her then baby son, did she glean every bit of joy and happiness from just holding his little body? Judging by the smile on her face, I would say yes.

And then a strong feeling came over me, that I should enjoy and savor each joyful moment that God blesses me to experience. When that picture was taken of my friend almost 50 years ago, she was not thinking of herself lying in a nursing home in tremendous pain, I doubt if the thought even came to her mind. But instead she savored that present moment and was thankful for all the joy that came with it.

Isn’t that what we should do? None of us knows what tomorrow or for that matter what the next moment may bring. Shouldn’t we be grateful and enjoy the good times that God brings to our lives. There is no time for bickering or unforgiveness among ourselves. No time for holding grudges and not speaking to one another! It’s time to love, forgive and revel in the joy God brings to us!

When I look at my little friend who is in her 80’s, I recall how she enjoyed her life, traveling all over writing and performing gospel music. I believe she made each moment count; she enjoyed the good times and thanked God for them. Though I met her later in her life, she was and is a blessing to me. I have learned unforgettable things from her. I am learning from her even now that… He knows me because I know His name; and we should enjoy the life God has blessed us with!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...