Loneliness...the final frontier

Loneliness, the state of being alone.  Something that I believe every human being on this earth has experienced at one time or the other.  It is not a place most people want to be in and yet it happens. I was recently in a discussion on author Gayle Roper's blog "A Widow's Journey", www.widowsjourney.com about this particular subject. And even though people get lonely for many reasons, one of the worst kind is when you lose a spouse. I know many may beg to differ, but I have to put that kind of loneliness right up there at least near the top.

"I know just how you feel", "The worst kind of loneliness is when you're surrounded by people", are just a couple of comments I've heard before, when in reality folks don't know how you really feel and if you are still lonely while you're surrounded by folks, then that sounds like it's your choice.  But in all fairness, it is OUR choice whether we STAY lonely or not.  When Christ walked this earth in the flesh, He experienced every human emotion that we could ever have and He was moved by them.  He knows what we feel like when we are lonely...whether we are actually alone or surrounded by people.

How do you conquer this mountain called loneliness, that looms around us sometimes threatening to take over our minds and thoughts? When loneliness becomes a giant in your life, then you become David, a shepherd boy with a big God! Stare loneliness square in the eyes and run towards it, put it in a choke hold embrace and squeeze the devil out of it! Recognize your state and then release it to God and trust that He knows all about it and then wait for His peace and direction.  He is faithful in getting us to get our eyes off ourselves and onto others, or He may have you sit quietly and talk to Him...He likes that.

On two different occasions I spoke with women that had remarried after losing their spouses and each one said to me, "Enjoy where you are now." and "I wish I had waited, instead of rushing into a relationship thinking it would be the answer to my loneliness."  I believe that we have to learn how to be content in our alone-ness or as Bahamian author, preacher, ambassador Myles Munroe says our " ALL-ONE-NESS".  Not until we learn that God created us as social beings yes, but He also made us to be content with ourselves; because then we can find contentment in any situation we find ourselves in. Apostle Paul says it best in Philippians 4:12-13:
I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."



My prayer today for you who are experiencing loneliness in your life for whatever reason, that God in His grand way will give you JOY!  Proverbs says that a "Merry heart does good like medicine!" I pray that a spirit of laughter come over you and may joy bubble up inside of you!  We have so much to be thankful for!  God knows our state and we are truly never alone.  He is with us...


"Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...