This is the day...

"This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it!"  Psalms 118:24

We quote that scripture all the time but the whole chapter of Psalms 118 is very encouraging. It is believed to have been written by David who had now finally become King after many trials and battles. He shares how he has overcome through hardships because God's "...mercy endures forever..." As I read each line it is filled with exuberance and gratefulness that only comes with experience.  He had experienced time and time again hardships yes, but he also experienced the merciful hand of God that rescued him through each trial.

There is something about knowing who you really are that puts you in a position to know
God better. On the contrary of what some teach, that we must realize how royal and mighty we are on our own; I believe that we must see how truly unworthy we are, but so loved by a Worthy God.  David knew this...he realized that he was just a shepherd with lots of shortcomings, but because he had a heart to know and worship God, he was " a man after God's own heart" Acts 13:22

So in the middle of David glorifying God for His goodness and mercy, he reminds everyone of the prophesy of the coming Messiah and declares this as the Lord's doing. That this day the Lord has made! So let us rejoice! As if David was saying "God is merciful y'all ! He has delivered me over and over again! He has brought me through my past...He takes care of me day by day...and on top of that He is even sending  a Messiah to give us continued deliverance (Psalms 118:22 Matthew 21:42) ! So rejoice!"

I did something the other night I generally don't do...I listened to the local and world wide news. Now I know some folks LOVE being informed...but me, I guess I'm a softie, because it grieves me. After listening to the bad reports, from the increase in crime to the decrease in the world's finances and everything in between...I could feel myself spiraling under a dark cloud. I had to turn it off. During the whole news report, there was not one good one. The news gave me no hope.

With the New Year going forward, many people make resolutions to make change for the better., and sad to say many of us usually drop the ball somewhere around the 3rd or 4th month of the year. Sometimes it is a struggle to stay positive in such a negative world.  But thanks be to God He never changes! As David said "His mercy endures forever!" As we look back over our lives, think about where He has brought you from, how he has taken care of you and me. He has brought us through trials and tribulations, and we are still here. And most importantly He has promised never to leave us. (Hebrews 13:5) God has already sent the promised Messiah through Jesus Christ, Emmanuel, meaning God with us. He has taken care of us in the past, He cares for us day by day and He promises to be with us always, even till the end (Matthew 28:20) !  This is the Lord's doing...so let us REJOICE and be glad!

So in 2016 in spite of all the negative reports, we look forward, for we know through experience, that God's Mercy endures forever! So let us rejoice... and be glad in it!



Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Veronica. Yes, His mercies are new every morning, great is His faithfulness. Thank you so much for popping in to see me. Oh, thank you for the reminder of that beautiful song. Such a gifted song writer to put into words what we feel in our hearts.
blessings,
Shelia

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...