Love Never Fails

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
I Corinthians 13:4-8a


Love never fails”, those are the words that my late husband always ended his cards and notes to me. After so many years of marriage, I came to expect those words at the bottom of the page; and I was never disappointed. I remember especially this time of year (Valentine’s Day) this fond memory because we were married on February 14th. My husband did not have the opportunity to be forgetful of our anniversary date, because it was Valentine’s day, with hearts, chocolates and greeting card commercials advertised in every store and on TV. And he did remember each year.

As we lived and grew together each year of our marriage, we learned what “Love never fails” really mean. The scripture speaks of patience, kindness, no envy, no pride, no rudeness and so on. I must admit we did not learn this all at once, like in the movies, but each day, each year we learned more and more what love really is. Love is more than hearts and flowers and violins playing, sometimes it can be painful and uncomfortable as you learn to surrender and love unconditionally. But it is truly worth it all. I believe that a husband and wife that truly love each other will continue to learn the love lessons until their very last breath. Only God knows all there is to know about a person. So as couples make a decision to have a successful marriage, they are continually learning about each other. And in that learning there comes a surrender and commitment to stay together.

Love is a wonderful thing and I thank God that I had the opportunity to experience it in my marriage. It was not always easy, but I would not trade those years for anything in this world. Because…Love never fails.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...