Hosanna in the Highest

The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. They brought the donkey and the colt, placed their cloaks on them, and Jesus sat on them. A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted, "Hosanna to the Son of David!" "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!" "Hosanna in the highest!"
When Jesus entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred and asked, "Who is this?"
The crowds answered, "This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth in Galilee."
Matthew 21:6-11


Today we recognize what we call "Palm Sunday". It was a day of Celebration when the people honored Jesus. Even though less than a week later some of those same people yelled "Crucify Him".
We know that His crucifixtion was all for a reason, but still as I reflect on the series of events as written in the Bible, it is a somber time. A time when I remember how yes, they cheered Him and laid down thier cloaks and branches for His entrance into town, but also how they turned on Him. How later they beat Him, spat on Him and called Him names.
My Savior, their Savior never pointed an accusing finger at them and cursed them to eternal damnation for treating Him that way. But He humbly endured the shame and the pain so they we could have eternal life with Him.
Lord I pray today as we honor you on this "Palm Sunday" that I will not be like the crowd back then that turned on You later. That I will not deny You before men when I am uncorfortable about sharing my faith. That I will not allow the enemy of my soul to draw me away from You. That I will always have praise in my heart for You crying "Hosanna, Hosanna!" Blessed is He that comes in the name of the Lord!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...