My Light! My Salvation!

The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?
For in the day of trouble He will keep me safe in His dwelling; He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.
Psalms 27:1 and 5


In my Junior and Senior high school years, I was the "darling" of the regional sororities. For some reason these classy ladies felt that I had enough talent to compete in the Talent shows and perform at the Cotillions they sponsored.
My music teacher, Mrs. Streater, was a lover of all types of music and her choices to teach me for the competitions were classical pieces. It was this wonderful woman that taught me the classical arrangement of "The Lord is my light".

Even though I could hit every note and stay on perfect pitch, I did not know the power in the words I was singing at the time. Though the awards and accolades came, I still did not know what a declaration of faith I was singing. Oh if I knew then like I know now!
It says in God's Word that His Words will not return to Him void, so I hope that even though I did not understand the magnitude of what I was singing, perhaps God in His Mercy allowed those Words to fall on hearts that needed the encouragement.
Years later, these very words have helped me so many times. "The Lord IS my light", when darkness tries to over take me; "My salvation", when I needed to be rescued; "Whom shall I fear" when I about to undergo a test or trial. Time after time, this Psalm has done away with the fear and brought "light" to my situation.
I believe that it was a part of God's plan for my life that I learn the words at an early age, for they are forever planted in my heart. Thank you Mrs. Streater for insisting that a teenager learn a classical song that would live in her heart and be the source of encouragement for all eternity!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...