You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah Psalms 32:7

One of the many things that I miss about my husband was his desire to always protect me. Always the protector, he would give me advice on how to be watchful when going places alone and would ask that I call if I would be running late. Even during his illness, one night as I was leaving his bedside at the hospital, as he was hooked up to all sorts of tubes and oxygen, he whispered, “Be very careful, do you have enough gas in the car?” Even in his weakness he was being strong for me.

This morning as I was sitting on the porch, I began to reminisce how many years ago before his illness; he insisted that we have the porch enclosed. I argued that I could not see the need to have it done because I liked going out on the patio and being in the openness of nature. But he wanted to protect me from not only the elements of nature but also in case ever there was an unwelcome visitor during my 5:00AM appointments to spend time with God there. Always the protector…”I want you to be safe” he said.

I finally gave in and we had the back porch walled and glassed in. Through all the glass I can still see nature that I so much enjoy and can even hear and feel it when I open the windows. But I am safe within the walls that surround me. It is there where I sit most mornings, sometimes before the sun comes up (the birds are up though). It is there where I meet with my King and Master and He speaks to my heart to forgive, to love, to heal and to restore. I feel protected and safe.

When my husband passed over 7 years ago, I may have lost my earthly protector, but God has been my protector from the beginning of my times. He reminds me of that…often. God protects me in this world and though I can look out and see it and hear the troublesome times we are living in, HIS walls protect me for “I am in this world but not of it…”
He is our refuge, and a very present help in times of trouble. Selah

Comments

Nicole said…
Absolutely beautiful. I felt like I was sitting on that back patio with you... Just beautiful.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...