The child within us

But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."
Luke 18:16-17

God is all about “balance”, as much as He wants us to “grow up” and mature in stature as well as wisdom; He also wants us to have the simple faith and trust of a child. Notice I said simple not silly…there’s a difference. Simple faith and trust as in free, unrestrained, without complication and with willingness.

The last six years of my life has been a journey. Since my husband’s death I’ve had to get to know me all over again. It was time for me to “grow up” about a lot of things. And God took me by the hand and lead me (He’s still leading) through some times that were very somber, sobering and enlightening. But the lyrics to the song “Through it all” the chorus rings very true “I’ve learned to trust in Jesus, I’ve learned to trust in God.”

Now don’t get me wrong, through all this learning and stuff I’ve had some good times too. I mean I’m God’s daughter and He loves me and wants me to enjoy life! He doesn’t want me to be so serious that I miss all the joy He has for me too. (See there’s that balance thing again) A couple of days ago were one of those times.

A lovely friend of mine (she is also a co-worker) took me for a spin in her new sporty convertible. We joked about being “Thelma and Louise” as we put on our sunglasses, and took several minutes to figure out how to get the top down on the car. But once we got rolling it was fun all the way. Now grant it we were only going into town to pick up lunches for the office crew, but to me I felt like a kid again going for a ride down the streets of my hometown in the Homecoming parade!

And what happens when you’re feeling free and having fun in a convertible…well the next thing I know my arms go up and I’m waving and saying hello to people on the street (people we knew of course). Well what do you expect? We had our sunglasses on, our hair was blowing in the wind and we were two hot chicks…okay… two middle-aged hot chicks in a sweet convertible. I was a kid again and it felt wonderful! Did I feel God smiling? I was free, unrestrained, not complicated and willing to have some fun!

Yesterday I was chuckling to myself as I thought of this event. I reflected again how much God wants us to enjoy life and “lighten up” sometimes. God loves us and He loves the child within all of us. Me, I was a child that loved climbing trees so high I could feel the wind in my face and wearing my favorite cut off denim jeans (my mom used to have to trick me to get them in the laundry).

The trials and tribulations of life help us to mature and grow up, but when you think about it we still are children at heart. Sometimes we have buried that “child” so deep, only God can reveal and restore it again. And oh how He wants us to have that simple faith and trust in Him again.

Yes, I had a good laugh on my way to the library yesterday as I was thinking of all this about the child within us. Because I happen to look down at what I was wearing and guess what it was? I had on cut off denim jeans; they are STILL my most favorite thing to wear! I laughed all the way to the library!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...