Dancing with God

You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, to the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent. Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever. Psalms 30:11-12

There was a "season" when I was very, very busy in music ministry and I had many opportunities to visit and minister in lots of churches in various denominations. It was exciting, but I noticed one thing: very few of those churches worshipped in dance. Some of them had their "trained" worship dance teams that performed during the services, but I saw no dancing to worship...you know people dancing freely as if they were in love with Him.
There is usually no problem getting Christians to sing, but to dance...well that's another matter. I have been to churches where the music and singing is awesome and yet...people stand rooted in their place. Some people clap their hands and sway, but no dancng.

I can talk about this because once I was there. I would sing my lungs out, even sway and hand clap. And even though my worship was releasing my feet to dance, I stood rooted in my spot.
Somewhere down the line , we have gotten the message that it is wrong or sinful to dance and in our subconscious we have placed a wall to stop the worship from getting to our feet.

Well...the Lord has finally freed me! And I feel like dancing at the strangest times, like when my son, and his family took me out to dinner at P.F. Chang's and I said to them when we came out "I feel like dancing!" and they said "Go ahead". (I chickened out though) Or sometimes when I am in a dept store and I think about the goodness of God, I want to dance! Now grant it there is a place for everything, but one of these days...

I do dance at home when I worhship the Lord and it is so wonderful! For this "season" this is where I am ...home.

Now I know what that scripture means, why God said that He would turn our mourning to dance...not to singing.
Because He knows that it doesn't take much surrendering to sing, but to dance, you REALLY have to be free in Him. With the journey that I have been on these past few years, it is a pleasure to dance unto Him. At times I've felt like He was peeling me layer by layer, while He was comforting me, restoring me, so that the real me could come out! And that real me dances with God!

I love the movie "Evan Almighty" , without giving away too much of the scenes, I have to tell you about this one. Throughout the movie Evan always does his little "victory dance" when good things happen, well at the end when he has passed the "test" the character that plays God tells him "Do the dance" and they begin to dance together! I LOVE IT! God wants us to dance with Him, to feel free because whom the Son has set free is free indeed!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very nice!

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...