The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.
Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD! Psalms 27:1, 13, 14


As I was reading this scripture this morning, my thoughts were taken back to the time of my teenage years. My high school music teacher was awesome! If she saw talent in her students, she would do her best to take you to the highest degree of excellence. She would have us singing in Latin and all sorts of classical pieces, winning awards at State competitions.
During my senior year in High school she taught me the song “The Lord is my Light”, I can’t remember the writer of this classical piece, but it was beautiful. Here I was only 16 years old singing this song with the lyrics of Psalms 1 at competitions statewide. I must admit I had no clue what I was singing at the time, I was the normal teenager with many issues, thinking I knew the answers to all my problems and my parents did not. When I look back now I see how silly I was! But you know what? Through all my many, many teen issues and the heartache of my parents, God could hear the words that I was singing. His word does not go un-noticed, whether if they are uttered from the lips of a priest or the lips of a sinner. He heard my cry from deep within me, He heard me proclaim that He is my light, my salvation, my strength. And though I was afraid as a teen, afraid of life and its many challenges, I declared in the song “Whom shall I be afraid of”. I believe God heard me, even when I did not know it.

Within the last 5 days, two young people have come to me with devastating news, news that would devastate any parent. They spoke to me in confidence and when I heard the news, though my heart sank within me, I did a good job of keeping my face “normal”. When talking to young people, I have found that though they over react all the time, when older people do it they clam up. I have to admit, it got to me and for the rest of the day I felt the heaviness of their problem and its consequences.

But then this morning as I read this scripture and was reminded of how the Lord has rescued me so many times and since He is no respecter of persons, He will do the same for these young people. He is their light, salvation and strength too. And as I pray for them, I believe that one day, through all their many issues and the heartache of their parents, somehow they too will come to know Him.

So the end of the passage says to “Wait and be of good courage, He will strengthen your heart…” and that is what I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...