For the LORD will be your confidence; and will keep your foot from being snared. Proverbs 3:26

Ah! Such is life! LOL. I’m laughing because of how quickly I allow myself to be affected by words. It’s not a laughing matter, but better to laugh than to cry I always say (besides laughing makes you feel better).

I consider myself a strong woman that has been walking with God for quite a few years now (never you mind how old am). Back to the point, after all these years you would think that I would not let something that someone says make my whole “world change in a second.” But it did and this is what happened…

It’s a beautiful day, the sun is shining and I am outside enjoying my task at hand. My project is to trim the bushes that are against my house. While I’m working I am having a wonderful conversation with the Lord and reminiscing about how faithful He is to me. I even asked Him for a cool breeze and He obliged, we were on a roll my Father and I; I was working but having a great time. Now enters the villain (no, just kidding) enters a well meaning person that has observed my task at hand and this is what this person says:
“You’re doing a better job, even though that is an awful lot of work for you to do alone.” Then they proceeded to bring to my attention the condition of my lawn and how it could be so much better. Now grant it, my yard is one of the neatest on my street, but at the time it did not matter to me that this person is in the lawn care business and probably has an ulterior motive. No, I felt that dart and OUCH! Took it as a personal insult.

Immediately the enemy began to crowd my mind with thoughts and questions.
“I’m a foolish old woman out here working in the hot sun”. “Am I stupid for working so hard to keep this yard looking nice when others see it as a ridiculous waste of time?” “Do people feel sorry for me because I’m a widow?” I could feel my physical countenance begin to droop and what started as a beautiful, wonderful day, began to dissolve quicker than a snail sprinkled with salt (that’s disgusting, but I want you to get a visual here.) :)

But thanks be to God, I remembered His Word, He is my confidence! It does not matter, what it looks like or what anyone thinks. God has given me the health and strength to be able to get out there and work and for THAT I am grateful!
I love it when the Lord sends me a little reminder and He did that later that day at the mall. As I was holding the door for this cute little lady with a walker, she turned to me and said “When you get to be 88 years old like me, it’s not fun when you can’t do little things like go up and down the stairs anymore.” After we chuckled together I told her, “But look at you, you’re still able to come to the mall and do some shopping.” To that she looked off as if thinking about what I said and turned back to me and smiled and said “Thank you, you’re right”.

I can still hear my Mom singing in the St. John Methodist church choir on a Sunday morning this song:

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

Refrain:
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

HE is our confidence, it on Him that we stand…no other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...