Love...


“Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written: “For Your sake we are killed all day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.” Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Romans 8:35-39

I am a firm believer that God uses ordinary, simple things to speak to us. The prayer of my heart has been that I would know the voice of God when He speaks. And I have learned that He speaks to me through very simple ways, everyday experiences. I mean why He would need to do some gigantic demonstration of nature or send some mystical revelation, when I can understand what He is saying to me through the simple things?

I suppose this desire started when I was a child climbing my favorite tree in the backyard of my South Carolina home. I would climb to the top and look at the sky and birds and “talk” to God. I would tell Him all about myself, as if He didn’t know; and pour my heart out to Him. I always wondered how He would answer me, there was never a question “if” He would answer me, but with my literal child-like faith I only wondered how.

In these days and times I have to go back to that tree in my backyard. Not physically, but in my heart I have to remind myself of how I used to simply pour my heart out to God and trust with child-like faith that He not only listens, but answers in His own way.

This morning I admit I was a little low, February can sometimes remind me of a lot of sad things. And in the process of going about doing my regular routine I needed to make a trip upstairs. I did not want my new puppy to follow, so I block all entrances to the stairway. But not long after getting upstairs, I heard the pitter patters of little paws, the puppy had somehow (and I don’t know how he did it) gotten through all barriers and made it upstairs to me anyway. At first I was angry, but when I saw how happy he was to see and be with me, my anger turned to laughter!

As I grabbed him up and hugged him, I was reminded of the scripture I’ve written above; that there is nothing that can separate us from the love of God. No matter how we may try to put up barriers of unbelief, pain, rejection, or self pity (which was in my case), God’s Love is still there. For those of us that have pets we know about their unconditional love. You can yell at them and tell them to “Go!”, but they will always welcome you with love every time they see you. Well God’s unconditional love is a trillion gazillion times bigger than that! No matter how we may feel as if He may not love us, because of things we’ve done or failed to do, He still loves us. No matter how high or wide the barrier we may have put up, His love is big enough to penetrate it and welcome us to partake if we want to.

The self pity, anxiety and depression I was feeling was swept away as I held my puppy and remembered with thankfulness of God’s unconditional love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...