“You, LORD, are the light that keeps me safe. I am not afraid of anyone. You protect me, and I have no fears. Brutal people may attack and try to kill me, but they will stumble. Fierce enemies may attack, but they will fall. Armies may surround me, but I won't be afraid; war may break out, but I will trust you.” Psalms 27:1-3 (Contemporary English Version)

I’ve written about this scripture before, but that’s the way God’s Word is; though it never changes, it can give you what I call “Customized encouragement” for what you may be going through at the time.

This time these words remind me that I am not alone, and not unprotected. Living as a widow for the past eight years has been a journey and learning experience. The Holy Spirit has been not only my “tour” guide on this journey, He has also been my teacher. Back at the end of year 2008, I felt like the Lord was encouraging me to seek more “Wisdom and Understanding”; to get to know Him better. And that He would give me more wisdom and understanding by observing simple everyday things. Thus with the help of my son while sitting at his kitchen table in sunny California, the beginning of this blog, and God has been faithful.

So many times we look for revelations through big happenings, when I believe He wants to speak to us in the very simple things of life. And so it was this morning as I was getting ready for work that I noticed water dripping from the breakfast area of my kitchen. ARRRGHHHH! Through some inspections with the help” of my Chihuahua puppy (at one point he grabbed my much needed flashlight and ran); I discovered what the problem was. New rain gutters and downspouts are over due on the back of the house. I knew eventually I would need to replace them, but these things always seem to come as a surprise.

Along with the completion of making arrangements to have the gutters replaced, came a feeling of weariness and self pity. These feelings usually come with the need and sole responsibility to take care of repairs and making life altering decisions. Before you call me a wimp (though I know that was the farthest thing on your mind **wink wink**) let me just add that until my husband passed, I had never lived alone. I went from home with a mom, dad and siblings to college with two roommates, to being married. So this living alone thing was absolutely brand spanking new to me. Over the years I have acclimated somewhat, but when things happen like my morning experience, the “poor me” syndrome rears its ugly head.

Oh yeah I almost forgot the part about the feelings that repair and sales people are trying to get over on me because I’m a woman and a widow (single). And though these feelings can be justifiable; I still cannot let my fear overtake my faith that God is looking out for me. So I am learning to get knowledge and feedback from people that I do trust and from there make the wisest decision that I can…the rest is up to God.

I am not alone… He has my back, front and everything in between. God protects me from all harm and injustice as I trust in Him. The Lord IS my light and my salvation! I will not fear because He is working it out for my good. Thank you Lord for reminding me that I do not walk this journey alone, I have you by my side, and sometimes You even carry me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...