Your Anchor holds...

The words of this hymn came strong to my mind this morning. I could not help but to sing the chorus over and over again…


In times like these, we need a Savior
In times like these, we need an anchor
Be very sure, be very sure
Your anchor holds, and grips the Solid Rock
Chorus:
The rock is Jesus, yes He’s the One
This rock is Jesus, the only One
Be very sure, be very sure
Your anchor holds, and grips the Solid Rock

This hymn was written in 1944 by a Ruth Caye Jones, who with her husband were evangelists who started a Radio ministry from Erie, Penna. As I looked at the picture of this woman, I noticed her kind, round face; hair in a bun, which was indicative of the women of the church in the 1950’s and she had such a smile of peace. And then when I read the words of this song, I knew that behind her look of peace, she paid a price to write these words…she KNEW what it meant to hold on to the ANCHOR…Jesus in her times of need.

Matthew 7:24-25 says:
“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine [Jesus] and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.”

I had an interesting conversation with a person the other day. This young person in his short lifetime has known a lot of trouble…most of it not of his own making. His trouble was the result of where and when he was born. He spoke of being annoyed when he hears other people his age complain about things they are going through that in comparison to his troubles are so mediocre. I could concur…I mean in all honesty, I get mad when I hear folks crying about “my big toe hurts” when I’ve had brain surgery…BUT the Lord is teaching me that all things are relative and to them it’s a biggie…so have compassion Roni! Yes Lord.

As we talked I shared with him about my upbringing in the south, smack in the middle of racial segregation with all its ramifications…and YET…my parents held on to their ANCHOR and taught me to do likewise. Though tossed through many situations that could have held me down or back, because I had an Anchor I was able to hold steady until “My help came” as the old folks say.

In times like these we DO need an Anchor. When I look back over my life, I marvel how the Lord has brought me through time after time. Times when I thought I could not make it…times when I didn’t even want to make it. Times when I held on with every ounce of my silly little strength until I could feel His arms of love take me up. Times when I didn’t understand, but I just held on to my Anchor…my Sold Rock, Jesus.

Do you know Him today? I don’t mean ABOUT Him…do you REALLY know Him as that Anchor…that Solid Rock? I hope so friend, because as Mrs. Ruth Caye Jones said many years ago …”in times like these we NEED a Savior.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...