Goodbye Mr. Ebert...


I have always been a fan of Roger Ebert. When he had his show with Siskel, I used to love to hear their take on movies.  Since I am a movie buff, I delighted in comparing Ebert’s thoughts to mine.

Sad news, Ebert passed away this past week after a long battle with cancer.  He fought hard and never gave up.  He still wrote and did appearances even when the disease had disfigured his body. Those close to him said he had an uplifting attitude and was stoic in living life to the fullest.

 That is why it saddens me so when I read this on MSN News this morning…”Ebert wrote in 2010 that he did not fear death because he didn't believe there was anything on the other side of death to fear."

It went on to say that Ebert felt that since he neither felt nor experienced anything before he was born, it would be the same after he died.  Bottom line Mr. Ebert did not believe in (at least in 2010) eternity; that after we leave this earth we will either spend it with or without God. He believed in nothing-ness (is that a word?)

I am sad because we are eternal beings and the choices we make on this earth determine where we will spend our eternity. Mr. Ebert was a very talented and gifted man; I wonder where he thought those gifts and talents came from?  I am not here to argue what anyone believes, God has given us a free will to choose as we like. And with our choices there are consequences.

 It is just so sad that Mr. Ebert, who suffered physically for many years on this earth, would have no hope of anything to look forward to…

I hope that in the years since 2010 when he made that statement, he changed his mind…

 

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...