“But you, Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high.  I call out to the Lord, and he answers me from His holy mountain. I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.”   Psalms 3:3-5

It was about a month after my husband had died, everyone had gone home, back to their lives and homes. One of my concerns had been how I will ever live alone.  I had NEVER lived alone before. I lived as a child and young adult with a mother, father and siblings; at college with two roommates and then in marriage with my husband and son.

I remembered how hard it was when my husband had hospital stays during his illness and the nights I had to spend alone; I would literally cry myself to sleep as I asked the Lord to please be by my side. This was a whole new experience for me…I worried so much on how I would make it.

But on that morning about a month after the funeral when I awoke alone, I remember awaking with a smile. Not because my situation had changed, I was still alone without my husband and family, but I smiled because of God’s faithfulness.

In spite of all my worry and concern about being totally void of all human companionship in the house, after all the tears and pleas to  God …when I had finally fallen to sleep, God gave me the sweetest dream. I dreamed of seeing my husband, his body back to health, his face beaming with joy and contentment.  I can’t tell you if we spoke words, but it was a peaceful dream.  And when I awoke that next morning that same peace hovered over me and I knew that it would be alright. I smiled that whole day because of the peace He had given me, a “peace that passes understanding”.

It is God who lifts up our heads when we are burdened with the trials of life; He lifts us up when we are lonely and hurting.  When we call Him, He WILL answer!  So we CAN sleep peacefully knowing that He is in charge and will be by our side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...