A child of God

"Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:2-4


Ever watch a little child's face when they eat their first ice cream, see a puppy or a  "Choo-choo" train? Their eyes are filled with such awe and wonder. Things that have become common place to us, are things they marvel over and have such delight!

There is something so pure about a baby, everything fascinates them as they discover shapes and colors and movements. They are so trusting, vulnerable but loaded with potential! 

Back in the spring when the weather was cooler, I sat on my back porch quietly, talking with God. I have mentioned before how I am my worst critic (I am getting better though) and sometimes wonder if maybe God sneezed when He gave me my personality and sense of humor and it got off kilter. lol  So I asked Him "God I know that you have given us laughter, so what does it sound like when YOU laugh?"  Silence...then out front some children were playing and one of them laughed...and God spoke to my heart and said "That is what it sounds like when I laugh."  I began to think of how a child's laughter is pure, there is no guile in it, no grossness, no ill will, just pure joy! Pure fun! And it's okay to laugh, the Bible even says a merry heart is good like medicine! (Proverbs 17:22) So does God laugh? Sure He does, you don't think we have the brains to invent something like that do you! C'mon!

I believe that is why when we surrender our lives to Him, we become the children of God. Certainly He does not expect us to stay in our immaturity , but even as we grow in stature, knowledge and wisdom, we must still live to keep our hearts in the pureness of a child, to constantly be in the amazement of our Father God. To live in trust and expectancy rather than doubt and fear. There is nothing more sadder than to see a child that has been abused in some way and has lost their precious childhood years. They seemed prematurely aged and the light has gone from their eyes, there is no longer any amazement with life. But there is always restoration in Jesus, when we offer our imperfect pasts to Him, we can become the children of God, with His help we will once again desire that pureness of heart, we will begin to be amazed at His goodness, kindness and faithfulness.


Just this past week as some people and I stood and encircled to congratulate a man that had received a promotion, I felt a tug at my side and when I looked down, it was his small daughter squeezing in trying to get to her father. As I moved to the side to let her in, I have to be honest, my southern 1960's upbringing kicked in and I thought to myself "Where's the manners here baby!" ( Did I say I was a work in progress? lol). This child pressed through to get to her father, then she crawled into his lap and he didn't skip a beat as he gathered her in his arms and continued talking as if it was the most natural thing in the world. The Lord brought this scene back to my remembrance this morning with a side note of "That's the way we all should be." We should be so confident and sure of our Father's love, that we should do as Hebrews 4:16 says  "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."


 I believe that it gives the Father much joy when we confidently come to Him, assured of His love. John 6:37 says (Jesus speaking),  "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out."  When we come to Him, as a little child trusting in His love and faithfulness,we can have the assurance that He will never cast us away!

The story of the woman with the issue of blood that sought healing, that is written in account in the gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke, when shared, is usually about her faith, because Jesus did tell her "Your faith has made you whole". I believe her faith in Him as a healer made her whole, but is was her faith in Him as a Father of love and acceptance, her childlike faith, that made her even attempt to reach out and touch Him. She believed that He loved her so much that He would never cast her away without helping her, that Jesus was God's pure love.


So today, my prayer is that I will have that heart of a child before God. That I will always be amazed by His goodness, His Mercy, His acceptance, His everlasting unconditional love! May I marvel that He is always available to receive me, that I can go to Him with anything and He won't be offended or disappointed in me, but will rise to help me to become all that He wants me to be!
 The chorus of one of my favorite songs : "He's a good, good Father, that's who You are, that's who You are, that's who You are; and I'm loved by You that's who I am, that's who I am, that's who I am!"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...