Comfort one another...

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ."  II Corinthians 1: 3-5




January was a very gloomy month. A weather reporter on a local radio station even stated that this past January had a record number of cloudy days. Since it also is the anniversary month of my husband's passing...that added to the gloominess I am sure.

During times like that, I have found that it is best to embrace the grief, to not try and run from it, but to allow the feelings to run their course and to seek God's comfort through it all.    
Just for the record, embracing something and wallowing in it are 2 very different things.  To embrace it means to recognize it and walk it through; wallowing is to let it simmer continuously. Getting THROUGH is the key and with the Lord's faithful help, I did.


What also help's is an understanding friend. In my case, it is a precious woman that is a widow as well. She understands because a couple of years ago she walked the same journey as I did 15 years ago. We encourage one another. We have found how to comfort each other the way we have been comforted by God. 

The weekend of the actual day of my husband's passing, there was an early morning knock on the door and outside stood a delivery man with the most beautiful bouquet of flowers!  My friend remembered the date and sent a lovely bouquet with a note that simply said that she understands. It was such a comfort to read those words and to know that in this world that would take little notice of my grief that day, someone remembered...and cared enough to send flowers.

How has God comforted you? We must reach out to others in their time of need to let them know that we understand and share the blessing of our comfort in ways that have been a comfort to us from our Father God.



Comments

Veronica, what a beautiful post. How fortunate you are to have such a sweet and kind friend. Winter can be so gloomy and even worse when it is plagued with a sad memory. I can tell by your writing that you are a very strong woman with an even stronger faith. I so enjoy reading your posts. I find great comfort in reading them. You are a very gifted writer! I hope that you have a blessed and happy rest of your week!!!
Veronica said…
Shannon you are such a sweetheart to stop by and leave a comment! Thank you so much! As far as being a strong woman...I certainly don't think so, however the strength that I do have is only from God. If it was not for His Love and Mercy I surely would not make it...and that is the truth! :-) Thank you for your kind words, they mean so very much to me. I LOVE your blog! Your decorating and tablescapes are awesome! Thanks again for stopping by. have a blessed week!
Bonnie said…
Veronica, Shannon is right. You are strong and such a good example to us all. I also agree you are a gifted writer.
It is harder when the weather is gloomy. Especially when it is cold and the cloudy days linger. Sunshine is invigorating. I lived in Alaska five years and we didn't have much light in the winter.
I know you miss your husband. I'm watching my friends loose their husbands and I can't image how lonely it is. How sweet of your friend that totally understands to send you flowers.
If I could do emojis on the computer I'd send you some right here! 🌸🌷🌸!!! I did do it after all. It won't be long until spring. Stay very busy and it will come faster.
I will be praying for you. Your friend, Bonnie
Veronica said…
Thank you Bonnie for stopping by and leaving a comment. It is always good to hear from you! I have relatives that lived in Alaska and they have told me how gloomy the weather can be there! Thanks for the emojis flowers :-) they made me smile...laugh really! lol...and most of all thanks for your prayers. Love your blog and all the pretty things! :-)
What a wonderful friend you have Veronica, someone very precious.

Diana

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...