When It's OK to Unplug...

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us. Hebrews 12:1

When I tell people that I was up at 5:00 AM cleaning the house or organizing my files they think I'm nuts, but really it is just the habit I developed when my husband and I got up to  prepare for our day at work. There's only one thing wrong with being an early riser with an energy surge though, you get so caught up in doing some things, you manage to be late for others...bad habit that I am working on. Don't judge!


So as usual, I was up around 5:00 AM with tons of energy, it was then that I decided that I was tired of all the cords and wires under my desk.  My son who is a tech wizard, had already told me in a phone conversation that there were certain things that I could remove and did not need any longer, but since I am NOT a tech wizard, I just left all the excess wires and cords connected to my old computer.


Now don't laugh at me, but even though everything functioned wireless, I still thought that "just in case" I had to still be hooked into my old computer...I dunno so don't ask!  Hence all the extra cords and wires, which by the way were using up good storage space on top of and underneath my desk! Okay, I'll just say it, I was AFRAID that if I pulled the wrong cord, that I would forever be thrown into the internet-less abyss, never to be connected to social media and the world again...ummm yeah...


So back to the 5 o'clock surge of energy (without caffeine mind you) ...I decided that's it! The wires have to go. So with flashlight in hand I'm crawling under my desk to see which wires are connected to what and to start eliminating the ones I did not need.  I gotta tell ya, each time I disconnected a cord or wire, I did wince, yep...eyes closed tight, teeth gritted. You cannot imagine my relief when I was able to eliminate several without being disconnected from my source for the internet!


The excess cords and old computer put away, desk cleaned off and organized, I felt so accomplished and actually FREE !  With all the excess stuff removed I had storage for other new things and I didn't even lose my internet source!  HA!


Now here's what I learned...


For so long I was unable to let some things go, now I know that it really was fear. These things had been such a part of my life, relationships and places,even people, that with my type of personality, I felt that if I let go, I could not enjoy having a full life. That if I really let go, I would somehow be disconnected from my Source. You see, by not truly trusting

God's Character of Love and Faithfulness, I felt that I had to stay attached to these things in order to be on His good side. I knew that I wanted to move forward in the Lord, but also felt a sort of allegiance, maybe even dependency on the things I was holding on to...which left me going nowhere.  

Fear, something that God never gave us, can keep us from moving forward in this life that God has given us. Thinking that we are secure by holding on to things that we perceive as good, but are really leaving us "attached" to something we do not need and really is not working for us...that particular season is over.


Letting go is not an easy process, to disconnect can be painful at first, you may wince, close your eyes tight and grit your teeth...but what a relief when with God's help, you begin to see that you really no longer need that connection anymore.


Letting go does not necessarily mean that you hide yourself away and seclude yourself from people, places and things, but it means knowing in your heart who your True Source is...that you are free and free indeed.

Letting go means that you can love with the heart of God, unconditionally and not expecting anything in return. Letting go also means that you free others as you pray with a pure heart for them.

One last thing, letting go means that you make room for all the new things that God wants to do in your life..."Behold I will do a new thing...now it will spring forth, shall you not know it?..."  Isaiah 43:19






Comments

Excellent. Refreshing as always.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...