RESPECT


I had an interesting experience yesterday. I was out with a dear friend that was treating me to a late birthday brunch and while standing and waiting for our order this is what happened: A man who I did not know nor did he know me and was about the same age as myself, walked up to me, pointed his finger and yelled "You have to pull that mask over your nose!" To give you a back detail, I had on a cotton mask but had slid the center top portion just under the rim of my nose to briefly catch some fresh air. Side note: it's been medically proven that breathing in your own Carbon Dioxide for an extended amount of time can lead to hypercapnia. If you want the meaning of that word, please look it up on, I'm not here to debate or argue, just stating my management of my own personal health. I assure you that my mask was securely in place covering my mouth and the bottom portion of my face, at that moment I had just slipped it just below my nostrils. GOT IT? got it.

To make this story short, this man yelled at me disrespectfully 3 times, each time getting louder and louder and each time I said to him "Sir Mind your business". To be perfectly honest, the third time that he yelled at me as if I was an ignorant child, I said "Mind your business" and added a choice word, not a cuss word, but one appropriate for the way he was acting and with that he flew into a frenzy and started yelling at the manager that had stepped out from the counter. By now I had pulled the mask the 1/1000000th of an inch over my nose and said to the man " There are you satisfied?" and with that he went into a rage again yelling at the manager to do something about me, and y'all the man looked like he may have been frothing at the mouth, seriously. Being raised in a segregated south and the civil rights movement, I admit that I still have flashbacks of what could happen when people are in a rage; so when the manager asked ME to leave the store and that he would bring my order out to me, I exited not wanting to further cause a scene. I left to wait outside all while the man who had come into my space yelling, pointing a finger and demanding me to do what HE said, remained in the store to get his order. He was still yelling by the way as if he had accomplished his mission of having me punished...for trying to get a whiff of fresh air mind you...all while not being 6 feet around no one until HE decided to come into my space.

 After a while and talking the situation over with my friend who had missed it all as she was out finding a table outside for us, I called my son to share what had just happened. He listened calmly and patiently, asked where I was and we ended the conversation. Well HONEY when I looked up, what seemed to be only 5 minutes later (the ride from his home is at least 15 -20 minutes on a good traffic day), HE WAS THERE! My son is a gentleman, non capricious, slow to speak before analyzing, deep thinker, justice lover and righteous warrior, those are just a few attributes. So when I saw him coming I was like "OK, THIS is going to get handled." My "attacker/accuser" had already left out the side door with a smirk in my direction as I waited at the table for our order. So by Yah's (God's) Grace, he missed it or should I say he ESCAPED it 😅. My son spoke to the manager that had asked me to leave the store (which he nervously denied doing) in a strong, manly and respectful attitude to let him know that this was not handled appropriately, it was my attacker who should have been asked to leave, and that THIS kind of thing should not have happened. My son handled it thoroughly, graciously and in excellence leaving no stone unturned. I think that manager may have experienced what the "fear of God" may feel like without any threats. 😃

 I also believe that the manager, in his attempt to calm this man down, he chose me the lesser of what he saw as a threat, to defuse this man's rage. The cost of my degradation, embarrassment and insult that I suffered in this did not weigh in comparison of what he thought this man could do to him as far as his position in that store...that is sad. I hope that he makes some changes after that talk he had with my son, if not and he continues to protect people that verbally abuse the customers, he may find himself on a social media live recording exposing his personal information and the rest is history.

 As for my "attacker/accuser" let me make this "public service announcement" to him and others that believe it is their "duty" and "privilege' to accost people they do not know in public places to DEMAND that they provide ID for proof of their presence, to DEMAND that they abide by what they say are the "rules" and "laws", who DEMAND that they wear a mask or any other item in the way THEY say it should be worn instead of going to the manager and allowing things to be done in decency and order, who believe it is THEIR right to degrade, stalk and speak condescendingly to an individual or group because you believe you are superior...let me give you a friendly warning...don't. do. that. If you take it upon yourself to step into someone's space uninvited, you may find yourself posted publicly on every social media, the privacy of you and your family totally exposed and possibly your career ruined. This is not a threat, just a warning from someone that believes and say "Enough is Enough" Learn to respect others as you would want yourself and your loved ones to be respected. R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...