The Forgiveness of God

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:1

Years ago, a delightful couple began to attend the church at which I was a member at that time. They were from one of the Islands and both had dynamic, bubbly personalities. He was gifted as a musician and could play several instruments. His wife was very intelligent and did quite well in the business world. They were a real blessing to the church, not only to the areas of music and administration, but just for being wonderful people.

This couple was in their early to mid thirties and up until that time had been unsuccessful in having a child of their own. They had gone the whole medical route and had almost settled in their hearts that maybe God wanted them to adopt, when she got pregnant!
We were all so happy for them and rejoiced when their beautiful, healthy baby girl was born. What a testimony it was to God’s timing and faithfulness!

About a year or so later this couple informed us that the wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. Needless to say we were all devastated. She however was the example of strength and faith. The church was a wonderful support for them during this time and after surgery and treatments she seemed to be getting better.

Then one day she shared that she was once again pregnant. The doctors did not seem concerned about whether the baby that she carried would be affected by the treatments that she had, but were more concerned for her. She was told that the hormones that increase during a woman’s pregnancy actually act as a stimulant to cancer growth. The doctors said in order to save her, she must terminate the pregnancy.

This couple had become our friends. My late husband and I along with many other people in the church prayed for them in earnest. They were in a major predicament. We all know that it is wrong to abort the life of a child or anyone for that matter, but at the same time she wanted to live and be a mother to her daughter. Even now as I think of that time my heart flows with compassion for anyone that may be in that place.

Whenever I would talk to her, I did not “preach” to her about what is sin or not. I was not in her shoes and she knew herself what was right and wrong. But I would just let her talk of her heartbreak of this situation.

To this day I do not know what decision they made. Several months later while they were visiting at my house, I felt compelled to take her into the dining room away from the other people and talk to her. I shared the scripture above, and about how Christ does not condemn us. I felt in my heart to tell her that Christ loves her and that when we ask Him for forgiveness, He does. Tears were flowing and so were the words from my heart as I told her “The decisions that we make are not always the correct ones, but God is big enough to forgive us and cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness.”

I never asked her what decision she made about the baby and she never told me. They moved away from the area a short time later. Several months later I got in contact with her and a relative answered the phone and said that she was unable to take the call. A short time later she passed away.

I am so thankful for the faithfulness of God. You see it was none of my business what decision she made, that was between her, her husband and God. My only obligation was to be there and share with her God’s forgiveness. I know that she is in heaven right now.

God’s forgiveness is more than big enough to cover and cleanse us from ANY bad decisions that we have made. He willingly went to the cross and paid the price knowing (as He’s able to see ALL things) that we would make some bad mistakes, but He loved us anyway.

I am so thankful for His forgiveness, because I know that I would be so lost if He had not forgiven and continues to forgive me. His mercy does endure forever and are new every morning. All you have to do is ask and He will be there…He loves us so…

Please read the words of one of my favorite songs: “When God ran”


Almighty God, the great I am Immovable rock, omnipotent, powerful, awesome Lord Victorious warrior, commanding King of Kings Mighty conqueror, and the only timethe only time I ever saw Him run

CHORUS: Was when He ran to me, He took me in His arms Held my head to His chest, said “My son’s come home again” Lifted my face, wiped the tears from my eyes With forgiveness in His voice He said,“Son do you know I still love you?” He caught me by surprise when God ran

The day I left home I knew I’d broken His heart And I wondered then if things could ever be the same Then one night I remembered His love for me And down that dusty road ahead I could see It was the only time – it was the only time I ever saw Him run

And then He ran to me, He took me in His arms Held my head to His chest, said “My son’s come home again” Lifted my face, wiped the tears from my eyes With forgiveness in His voice He said,“Son do you know I still love you?” He caught me by surprise as He brought me to my knees
When God ran – I saw Him run to me

BRIDGE: I was so ashamed, all alone and so far away but now I know He’s been waiting for this day
I saw Him run to me, He took me in His arms Held my head to His chest, said “My son’s come home again” Lifted my face, wiped the tears from my eyes With forgiveness in His voice I felt His love for me again
He ran to me, He took me in His arms Held my head to His chest, said “My son’s come home again” Lifted my face, wiped the tears from my eyes With forgiveness in His voice He said, “Son”, He called me Son He said, “Son do you know I still love you?” He ran to me and then I ran to Him When God ran

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...