Grandma's feet

For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. Psalms 139:13

Ever since I was a child my feet have been the subject of many complaints by me, embarrassment and jokes. Now don’t get me wrong I’m very thankful for my feet, how does the saying go “I once complained because I had no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet”? So really I am grateful to have feet and be able to walk! Thank you Lord! But because the Lord chose to make my feet unique (ahem) putting it mildly, I never chose to wear shoes with the toes out.

I am a confessed shoe lover and always admire people who are able to wear their toes out and painted with those cute little open toe shoes (sigh). Things dreams are made of, for me. When shopping I pass over those shoes and head for the closed toe ones. I do venture to wear a “mule” (shoe with the heel out) and have lots of those. But I never had the nerve to actually wear a classy open toe shoes for fear of hearing gasps from anyone in public who would get a glimpse of my short stubby toes!

The few pair of sandals that I have don’t count because those are designated only for wearing to a quick run to the grocery store or errand. They kind of fall in the category with the ugly scarf I wear over my rollers when I have to make a dash run, it’s not really a part of your wardrobe; but come in handy when you have something to do and know no one will recognize you, or care to with you looking like THAT! Except that one time in the drugstore, I was in my “incognito” outfit and this woman I had not seen in a while called my name out really loud and came over to have what turned out to be a conversation for about 45 minutes! I tried really hard to cover my toes and head as each person came through the doors. I guess it worked because I didn’t hear any gasps. Only I could have sworn the lady I was talking to, her eyes kept looking down…

Anyway, my feet, I was looking at them the other day and it came to me…you have feet like your Grandma Reed! Ha! That’s it! You mean God didn’t make a mistake, maybe looked away for a second when He was forming me? No! my feet aren’t a mistake! I have my Grandma’s feet and what an honor that is!
Grandma Reed lived to be 102 years old and during her lifetime she proved that she was a strong, resilient faith-filled woman! She was a woman that had a hard life but always spoke positively and had a laugh! AND she loved pretty shoes. The last time I saw her alive, she was unable to get around on her own but she was admiring my youngest sister’s shiny shoes! Oh Grandma, God saw fit to give me feet like yours, feet I never heard you complain about, feet that took you through life, through the good and bad times and now on to heaven! Where you are dancing before God’s throne! I am blessed to have my feet and you know what? Open toed shoes here I come…I believe Grandma would’ve approved!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...