Trust in His Mercy


But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God; I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever. I will praise You forever, because You have done it;And in the presence of Your saints I will wait on Your name, for it is good.
Psalms 52:8-9

The Olive tree is mentioned so many times in the Bible, besides it growing in abundance in the Middle East, it has so many helpful uses. In some cultures the Olive leaf represents glory and peace. And then the fruit of the tree is good to eat and we know about all the healthful benefits of the oil. The Olive tree also has a long life span. It is reported that in Crete there is an Olive tree that is at least 2,000 years old.

So to be like an Olive tree is a good thing; it means to me that I am useful, have many good benefits and longevity. This can also mean that I am stable and reliable. I am sure that if a tree can stand the test of time for 2,000 years, it has seen some storms; but the Olive tree has proven that it can persevere.

With all the dreadful news going on now, it can be very disheartening. Bad news about the economy, families falling apart and violence on a rampage, it can make you fearful; even afraid to venture out of your front door. But this scripture says that “I trust in the mercy of God”. Is that how the Olive tree withstood the test of time?

God’s mercy endures forever, so even in these dangerous times we must trust in that mercy and wait on Him. To whom else can we turn? He alone is our refuge and strength. He has proven Himself over and over again…as the scripture says “…He has done it” and “His name is good”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...