The Treadmill of Life...

But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” Luke 9:62

Funny how things come to mind while you're doing just regular stuff...at least that how it happens to me.  While at the gym on the treadmill doing my regular routine it came to me how similar it is with traveling the journey of life....


I would love to paint a picture of me in a cute and matching gym outfit (preferably in fuchsia and turquoise) oh! and with a matching headband, socks and shoes. No visible perspiration on my face or armpits and of course perfectly coiffed hair and full makeup in the vision that I would like to see of me on the treadmill.  But honey, first of all I have to fight to get to the gym to get ON the treadmill, so most times that means a T-shirt with a faded logos,

oversized gym pants, my gym shoes that I have broken in and don't care if they match my outfit, no socks, hair combed back from my face in prep for all that sweat that will drip down my face with a smidgen of makeup (I have to at least put eyeliner on or I would scare folks...can't have that.)  Not quite the "vision" I would like to see of me on the treadmill, BUT I get there and begin...

I start slow at first, getting myself acclimated to walking against the belt. Lots of times I get distracted by the change of music or folks coming in and out and when that happens it makes me begin to concentrate on how much longer I have to stay on this blasted thing! The distractions seem to get my mind off the the good results of the exercise routine and instead it makes me become weary of what I have to do to get there. The distractions make the act of going "forward" tedious instead of a joy for what is ahead. So I have to stay focused on my goal...yes the belt is going in the opposite direction, but as I continue to walk forward it is making me stronger.


I am a people watcher, so as I am looking around I begin to notice how some people use the treadmill: you have your slow walkers, they take it nice and easy, no hurry and know their limitations and just thankful probably to be able to get on a treadmill. Then you have your runners, that seem so confident, they are there for a workout (and a little showoff I think sometimes) and they want to do this routine, and reap the results quickly. Then you have your moderate walkers, like me...start off slow, increasing gradually, trying to stay focused, keeping the goal in mind so the routine won't become a chore instead of a joy and did I say SWEATING up a storm!  Is any one of these the correct way?



To be honest with you, I don't know, all I know is what works for me. In this life's journey we are reminded in God's Word to constantly go forward, to not look back.  Going back is actually no longer an option, but we sometimes spend so much of our time and energy worrying about things that we can not change. Yes the belt of the treadmill is constantly going opposite, but it is the going forward that produces the desired results.  Imagine if you will a person walking backwards on a treadmill, I see a crash landing and broken limbs, hardly what we would want. Even if life seems to want to pull us backwards, we have to constantly allow the Holy Spirit to help and encourage us to go forward.


Distractions will come, but we must stay focused on this walk and the goal of being successful only comes with being more like Jesus. Not one of us is perfect, we each have our own "style", some are slow walkers, cautious and laid back, some are runners, very confident and fast, and some start off slow, but increase as they stay more focused. We are all on a treadmill of life (I know that sounds corny, but there ya go). We are all given an opportunity to go forward and become what God intended us to be. My prayer is that I will continue to hold steady, not be distracted, to stay focused and to keep my eyes on the goal...to learn more about the character of God and to become what He wants me to be. As we walk in His Truth and Light, we will accomplish all that He has for us on this earth.


"Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,  I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. " Philippians 3:12-14


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Looking or Seeking?

Reaction 101

Letter to my Mom...